Alberni Valley Bulldogs Chilliwack Chiefs Coquitlam Express Cowichan Capitals Cranbrook Bucks Langley Rivermen Merritt Centennials Nanaimo Clippers Penticton Vees Powell River Kings Prince George Spruce Kings Salmon Arm Silverbacks Surrey Eagles Trail Smoke Eaters Vernon Vipers Victoria Grizzlies Wenatchee Wild West Kelowna Warriors
Team Sites
Follow the BCHL

Game Day Preview: Barnes Cup Game 3

After being treated to a defensive battle in game one of the Barnes Cup that saw a 3-1 victory go to Team White, Game 2 was full of offense as Team Red leveled the series with a 6-3 win.

After being a non-factor in game 1, special teams became a focal point of game 2, and it was on special teams that the first goal of the game was scored. Wyatt Marlow was at the right place at the right time after a Grayson Valente shot rebounded off his body and slid over the line past Colton Phillips-Watts into the net to open the scoring. It didn’t take long for Team White to respond after a shot on net let to a goal-mouth scrum and Jerzy Orchard was the first one to find the puck to bat it past Josh Dias to tie the game 1-1. Then it was Team White’s turn to go to the man advantage and after some solid puck movement it was a similar goal mouth scramble that led to Zack Dallazanna being able to find the puck in the blue paint and shovel the puck through the legs to make it 2-1 White. Mere moments later the ice continued to tilt as Jacob Dewitt cheated down from the point to finish off another battle in front to make it 3-1. Phillips-Watts was a difference maker in the first period after two clean breakaway tries for Team Red from Dent and Erickson – but both were denied thanks to some spectacular saves. The four goals combined in the first period were scored from about 4 feet in front of the net as the Cents showed off their grittiness is game 2. Shots after 1 were 14-12 Team Red.

Team Red looked to be down in a hole after period one, but on the heels of a bit of a lucky goal they were able to climb back into the game. Streaking down the left wing, Hunter Brown through a shot on from near the goal line and was able to sneak it past Phillips-Watts to make it 3-2. Later in the period with another chance on the powerplay, Team Red went to work. Working the puck around the horn, a cross-ice feed found Dent at the right dot and he unleashed an absolute laser top corner to tie the game at 3’s. Shots after 2 were 23-20 Team White.

In the final frame, Team Red continued to put the pedal down with relentless pressure and play in the offensive zone. Despite the multitude of chances it wasn’t until Dylan Sydor was ripped down the left wing, and ripped a shot bar-down, short-side to put Team Red ahead 4-3. Hunter Brown scored his second of the game off a rebound from the point to make it 5-3. With a powerplay late in the game, Team White pulled the goalie to put the pressure on but coughed up the puck at the offensive blue line and Brandon Dent scored the empty netter to make it a 6-3 final. Final shots were 39-31 Team Red.

After the game, Head Coach Derek Sweet-Coulter said the chemistry is starting to build.

We will see which team can build up to the win this morning, and hoist the Barnes Cup.

Puck drop 9:30am, free to view on HockeyTV.

Come Saturday’s preseason opener against the Prince George Spruce Kings fans will have to purchase an All Access pass to watch – use discount code BCHLCENTENNIALS20 for $80 off.